Donated by Marta Burns, thank you Marta!
In the year 1810 the Borough of Washiongton contained a population of
1292, and manufactured the following:
Flax linen: 2004 yards, value $1307.10;
Tow: 501 yards, value $202.50;
Cotton: 1736 yards, value $1724.35;
Linsey: 665 yards, value $433.53
Total value: $3661.48
There were in the town 153 spinning wheels, 97 hand cards, 8 looms, 179
horses, 222 neat cattle, 133 common sheep, and 8 of mixed breeds.
On the 2nd of July, 1810, James Dougherty moves his store to the house
formerly occupied by Mrs Mary Dodd nearly opposite the courthouse and
next door to Cunningham & Dill.
In 1811 the Rev Thomas Campbell lived near the college, and Thomas Ledlie
Birch, afterwards famous as a preacher, advertised drugs and medicines
David Eckert was a saddle and his dwelling and shop were in the brick
house opposite the sign of "The Globe" and next to the bank.
George Lockart, cabinet and chair maker, "lately from Philadelphia"
advertised that he had commenced business next to James Langley's store.
James Meetkirke in May, 1811, advertised that he "wants flaxseed in
exchange for Windsor chairs, which he manufactures."
Libes Hatman had a bakery opposite "The Rising Sun" on Market Street at
the corner of Chestnut.
Sampson S King, captain United States infantry, advertised May 11, 1812,
that he had opened a recruiting office at Washington, and offered a
bounty of sixteen hundred dollars, three months' pay and one hundred
sixty acres of land.
On the 25th of May, 1812, Kline and Landis opened "a new saddler shop" at
the house of Joseph Patton, hatter, on Main Street where David Eckert
formerly had his saddle shop.
On the 11th of April, 1814, William Hunter announced that he had
commenced mercantile business "at the house lately occupied by Dr Le
Moyne, next store below Mr Lockhart's store" at the site now occupied by
Michael Koontz. Later Mr Hunter purchased the property now occupied by
Samuel Hazlett's bank, where he lived and was in business many years.
Thomas Brice in April, 1814, moved from Amity to Washington, and opened a
store next above the bank.
In August the same year, Dubuisson advertises that he has arrived from
Philadelphia, and "cleans, separates, files, plugs and extracts teeth;
sets straight those inclined to any direction; and makes and places
On the 1st of May, 1815, George Bertie, watchmaker, advertises that he
has moved to the house adjoining Daniel Moore's store. Mrs Bertie adds
that "she continues to work in the millinery business in its various
Isaiah Steen in May, 1816, informs the public that in addition to his
Windsor and fancy chair making he "has recently engaged an artist by whom
he will be enabled to carry on miniature portrait, sign, and ornamental
painting in a superior manner."
On the 28th of April, 1817, G Harrison advertises "to paint portraits,
miniatures, signs, etc, and to teach drawing."
On the 19th of May, 1817, William McMullin commenced the cut and wrought
nail business in the blacksmith shop on Wheeling Street, and in August
following Joshua Monroe and William Campbell opened a nail factory on
Main Street opposite Mr Greggs.
Robert Young was a bookbinder in the town some years prior to 1819, and
on the 18th of January, that year, advertised that "he intends removing
to Pittsburgh about the first of April next."
A stone brewery was built on the property of Gen Thomas Acheson about
1819 and operated by Thomas Cummings and J Cummings for many years. A
large and extensive business was done. The building was eventually pulled
down and the stone used for foundations in the town. The property is now
owned by Judge A W Acheson.
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches
of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine.
Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882. P493