Donated by Marta Burns, thank you Marta!
On the 3rd of April, 1809, the Washington Theatrical Association
advertised "to perform at Mr Steen's New House the admirable comedy of
'The Rivals.'" The new house mentioned was known as "Castle Crack" and is
the dwelling now owned by Major John H Ewing.
Following is a list of taxables in 1800:
James Allison, James Ashbrook, Parker Campbell, Thomas Johnstone, Henry G
Keppele, Joseph Pentecost, John Simonson
Thomas Acheson, David Acheson, Robert Hazlett, Alexander Cunningham,
James Langley, Daniel Moore, John Ritchie, Alexander Reed, Robert
Ritchie, Hugh Wilson, Hugh Wylie, John Wallace
Robert Anderson, Jacob Shaffer, James Stevenson
George Allison, Gabriel Blakeney, Samuel Clark, John Colerick Sr, David
Hoge, Andrew McClure, Thomas Swearingen, Thomas Stokely
Isaiah Blair, Absalom Baird, Frederick L Conyngham
The name of J Julius Le Moyne is given as innkeeper and then crossed
John Bollin, Abraham Cazeer, Gerard Greer, John Hanna, Daniel Kerr
(formerly spelled Kehr), Samuel Kirkbride, Philip Milchsach, William
Revenue officer: James Brice
Joseph Climson, John Koontz, William Shannon, Robert Thompson
Christian Branize, John Templeton, Hugh Workman
Butcher: John Clark
John Colerick, John Israel, John Speers
James Chambers, Joseph Day, Henry Ewen, Jonathan Hook, John Mitchell,
Samuel Mitchell, Simon Panioste (?Pancoast), William Sharrard, Michael
On the 3rd of April, 1809, George Bertie, "a clock and watchmaker and
mathematical instrument maker" announced that he had moved from the house
"formerly occupied by Robert Anderson to the brick house adjoining."
Robert Anderson, who opened a watchmaker shop in 1798, was elected
sheriff of the county in 1808, and George Bertie succeeded to the
Of merchants not before mentioned there appear in 1809:
James Brice, Cunningham & Dill, Samuel Cunningham, David Cooke, James
Blaine, James Dunlap (also brigade inspector and tailor), Thomas S Good
(whose store was on the corner of Pine Alley on the west side of Main
Street; later he erected an oil mill on the rear of the lot), Abraham
Latimore, Thomas McFadden, David Shields
Attorneys mentioned in 1809 not before noticed:
Sampson S King, John Marshel, Thomas S McGiffin, Jonathan Redick, Thomas
Baird, John Tarr, John White
Clergymen: the Rev Matthew Brown and the Rev Thomas Campbell.
The names of Dr David G Mitchel and Dr Henry Stephenson appear for the
The printers were: William Sample, editor of THE REPORTER; Thomas
Thompson, editor of THE WESTERN CORRECTOR; Alexander Armstrong, editor of
THE WESTERN TELEGRAPHE.
In the year 1808 John Scott was the contractor for carrying the mails and
in 1810 was a "stage master."
On the 5th of June, 1809, Hamilton, Mills & Gourly advertised that "their
machines were in complete order and that wool will be taken and carded at
On the 27th of November, 1809, James Blaine advertised that he had just
opened in the stand between Hugh Wilson's and Acheson's, a cheap
assortment of dry goods, groceries, hardware, china, glass, etc."
James Dunlap announced on the 28th of May, 1810, that he had just opened
a general assortment of merchandise and also that military uniforms were
a specialty. At this time he was brigade inspector and lived in the house
now owned by Keochline, at the southeast corner of Maiden and Main
Streets, unchanged to this day. He remained in this place till 1816 then
removed to a farm a few miles from Washington and opened a tavern called
"Mount Vernon Hotel" and on the 1st of April the next year laid out a
town called Williamsburg. In 1825 he removed to Washington and kept "The
Jackson Inn." Williamsburg later became Martinsburg, and is also known as
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches
of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine.
Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882. P492