Donated by Marta Burns, thank you Marta!
Hugh Workman's tanyard was mentioned in December, 1796.
James Dougherty was a tailor, and in that month "had just opend at the
house of Mrs McMillan on Market Street."
Alexander Reed & Company offered, January 4, 1797, "a large and elegant
assortment of goods," cloth coatings, cassimeres, flannels, linens, etc.
John Johnston at the same time was selling dry goods, hardware, etc.
Thomas Thompson on the 6th of May in that year "informs the public that
he has removed from Hamilton's sawmill to Washington, next door to Mr
James McCluney's, where he proposes to manufacture Umbrellas and Sword
Canes." He married a daughter of Thomas Scott and later edited a
newspaper in Washington, Penna.
James McCammant was a gunsmith at this time, and opened a shop in the
tavern of William McCammant.
James Wilson was a coppermsith and in June, 1797, announced that "he had
opened a shop at the house of John Wilson, cabinet maker," now the site
of A T Baird's store. James Wilson was a son of James Wilson and a
brother of Hugh Wilson. His brother lived on the corner where Smith's
store now stands.
Robert Hazlett announced on the 22nd of December that he had "removed his
store from the house adjoining Hugh Wilson to the house where William
Arbuckle, Hatter, lives."
Isaiah Steen advertised in the HERALD OF LIBERTY, May 18, 1798, that he
had removed his shop from John Scott, innkeeper, to the house of Dr John
Culbertson and continued the business of Windsor chair making.
On the 24th of April, David Acheson offered to exchange for property in
this town a lot of ground "in the town of Cincinnati, Northwestern
On the 8th of August, 1798, Robert Anderson and William Hutchinson opened
a shop three doors below Mr Purviance tavern for conducting the "clock
and watch making business in all its branches."
At the same time Thomas Wells has removed his business of clock and watch
making from the Widow Wilson to a house below Mr Valentine's tavern on
On the 11th of October, 1798, John Templeton commenced the tanning
business at the tanyard formerly occupied by James Brotherton in the rear
of Mr Colerick's printing office then on Main Street, just north of where
the Fulton House now is.
On 30th of May, 1799, John Watts advertised a brickyard to rent adjoining
the town of Washington. He also offered brick for sale at six dollars per
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches
of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine.
Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882. P490