Donated by Marta Burns, thank you Marta!
On the 17th of August, 1795, three years later, a newspaper called THE
WESTERN TELEGRAPHE AND WASHINGTON ADVERTISER was established by Colerick,
Hunter and Beaumont and from its columns are obtained many of the earlier
notices of business establishments. The first which appeared was that of
Hugh Wilson, dated August 13, 1795, in which he says he "has a large and
general assortment of Dry Goods."
On the 3rd of October, "The Master Saddlers of Washington County are
requested to meet at the house of John Fisher in Washington on business
Samuel Clarke on the 27th of the same month, advertised "a neat and
general assortment of Dry Goods."
On the 7th of December, the same year, James Neilson advertised that "he
is going over the mountains for a new assortment of goods against
In the same month, Matthew Ritchie & Company offered "A General
assortment of Goods."
Dr A Baird had just opened a drug store "in the House lately occupied as
a tavern by William Meetkirke."
John Reed "continues the Brewery business as his Brewery near
Washington," and Gabriel Blakeney "having quit business," advertised for
Jedediah Post advertised as a watchmaker in the town of Washington, and
James Buchanan on the 20th of December informed the public that "he has
commenced the Blue Dyeing business at Mrs Wilson's opposite the
courthouse, where Smith's store now stands.
In February, 1796, Dr Absalom Baird offered a large assortment of cloths
of all kinds, and that "he had left his Medical Books with William
Meetkirke Esq for collection of accounts."
Alexander Reed & Company of the 8th of March, 1796, advertised as
follows: "Have just received a quantity of Port, Sherry, Lisbon and
Teneriffe wintes of the best quality which they will sell on Moderate
Terms, also some good Jamaica Spirits."
April 18th William Erskine advertised spinning wheels, and that he had
moved into Belle Street next to Mr Moore, tailor.
David Acheson on the 29th of April announced that he had on hand "an
Assortment of Dry Goods, Hardware, Queensware, &c."
On the 17th of May, 1796, Alton Pemberton advertised "to Storekeepers and
others" that "he will in a few days open a most elegant, extensive and
well chosen assortment of Dry Goods, &c.as they were all imported
immediately under his inspection from the first manufactories in Europe."
His store was in the house of Mr Beaumont near the market house. The firm
was changed to Bartholomew, Connelly & Company on the 4th October, 1796,
and the business was removed to the house of John Colerick.
On the 29th of the same year, Robert Adams, bootmaker, advertised that he
"had commenced business in Town at the house of Patrick Moore."
Isaac Steen announced August 11, 1796, that he "has commenced the
business of Windsor Chair Making in Washington in the house lately
occupied by John Fisher;" later he was in the yellow house opposite Mr
Acheson's store and was for many years in the old market house.
Thomas Wells was a watch and clockmaker "at the house of Widow Wilson
near the Market House" in September, 1796.
Daniel Thompson was a "Breeches Maker next to James McCluney's store."
Robert Hamilton was a whitesmith and occupied a shop next to Joseph
Huston's tavern, The Buck. Later he built the brick house now occupied by
his daughter, Mrs Charles Sisson, where he kept a store.
James McCluney was a brother of John McCluney, at one time sheriff of the
county. James advertised December 10, 1796, to sell off all his dry
goods, hardware, etc but that he would continue to carry on the nailing
business and sell lumber of all kinds. He died at New Orleans, November
2, 1799. The following quotation was given after remarks upon his death
in one of the village newspapers: "There cracked a noble heart."
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches
of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine.
Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882. P490