Donated by Marta Burns, thank you Marta!
James Shannon, Joseph Reynolds and Thomas Reynolds came from Baltimore to
Washington in 1803 with their families. They were all shoemakers. Shannon
opened a shop where Vowell's drugstore now is, and kept a shop there for
many years; the Reynoldses worked for him. In 1812 James Shannon moved
his shop to where Thomas McKean's tobacco store now is. He was prominent
in connection with the Methodist Church, and active in all its work. He
left four sons and three daughters: Robert Shannon settled in Cincinnati;
William Shannon, James Shannon, and Frank Shannon remained in Washington,
Penna, and still reside there. Mrs Eliza Harter, Mrs Dr J S Reed of
Pittsburgh, and Mrs Henrietta Beck of New Orleans are daughters of James
Alexander Murdoch was the youngest son of John Murdoch, who settled in
what is now North STrabane township, Washington county, Penna, in 1778.
He was born near Carlisle, Penna, in 1770. When quite a young man he
purchased the Canonsburg Mills with a large tract of land extending from
the present site of the mills up Chartiers Creek and embracing the land
now occupied by the Hodgen's tannery. From these mills at an early period
he loaded two large flatboats with flour and saddlery and landed them
safely at New Orleans. He returned from this trip on horseback through an
almost unbroken wilderness.
In 1803 he married Elizabeth Henderson, daughter of Rev Matthew Henderson
of Chartiers township. In 1809 he was appointed by the Governor
prothonotary of the Court of Common Pleas of Washington County, and held
the office until 1819. Upon his acceptance of this office, he sold the
Canonsburg property and removed to Washington. Soon after, he built the
brick house on the corner of Main Street and Pine Alley, now owned and
occupied by his eldest daughter, Mrs Mary M Gow.
Subsequently he purchased the lot on the corner of Main and Beau Streets,
and built thereon what is now a part of the "Fulton House." He moved to
this building in 1822 and resided there until the spring of 1828 and was
engaged during this period in the mercantile business. Having in the mean
time purchased a part of the tract of land over four hundred acres known
as "Morganza" two miles below Canonsburg on Chartiers Creek, he with his
family took possession of the same in 1828 and remained there until his
death which occurred in 1836. His widow survived him twenty seven years,
and died in Canonsburg, March, 1863, aged eighty three years.
The surviving children are: Mrs Mary M Gow of Washington; Mrs Sarah B
Muller of Nelsonville, Ohio; Mrs E M Wilson and Ann of Moberly, Missouri;
and Alexander Murdoch of Washington, Penna.
Esther Murdoch, the daughter and youngest child of John Murdoch Sr, was
married in 1803 to Hugh Hagarty/?Hagerty, a merchant, who subsequently
came to Washington and opened a store in the building now occupied by Mrs
Gow. Mr Hagarty left Washington and located in Florence, Alabama, where
he soon after died.
Mr and Mrs Hagarty had two children: John Hagarty and Samuel Hagarty.
John Hagarty owned and commanded a number of steamboats on the Ohio and
Mississippi Rivers, and had many warm friends in Washington with whom he
frequently visited. He died a few years since in Cincinnati. Samuel
Hagarty died many years ago in the state of Indiana. Mrs Hagarty died
soon after the birth of her second child.
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches
of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine.
Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882. P488