Donated by Marta Burns, thank you Marta!
Col James Marshel, a settler in Cross Creek township, purchased lot
number 90 of David Hoge on certificate, receiving his deed from Mr Hoge
in February, 1785. This lot was where Morgan & Hargreaves' store now
stands. He lived in the town during the terms of various offices he held:
of county lieutenant, register, recorder and sheriff. In 1794 the
military headquarters were upon the lot he then lived on, and the United
States forces were encamped on the college grounds.
James Langley and his brother, who settled in Erie County, Penna, came
from Market Hill, Ireland, to this county and town about 1790 where the
Achesons, with whom they were acquainted, had previously located. James
Langley purchased of the Hoges lot number 93 on Main Street just above
Valentine House, and where his grandson, John Lockhart now lives. On this
lot he built a log house in which he lived and opened a store. Later this
house was removed to the lot of Col James Ruple and a frame building was
erected on the site of Mr Lockhart's store, which James Langley used as a
store. In 1818 he built the brick house now the residence of Mr Lockhart,
which was used as a store and dwelling. In 1860 the frame building was
removed and the present store erected. The counters now in Mr Lockhart's
store have been used through four generations: James Langley; his sons
Henry Langley and James Langley; John Lockhart, his stepson, and now by
John W Lockhart and his son, James W Lockhart. James Langley left two
sons: James and Henry, who both lived bachelors and died here. The wife
of James Langley Sr was the widow of William Lockhart of Beaver county,
Penna, having four children, one of whom, John Lockhart was in business
with his stepfather from 1810 to 1820 when he removed to Illinois; James
Langley died in 1830. James and Henry Langley succeeded their father in
business. Henry was prominent in the Baptist Church, and later in the
Church of the Disciples.
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches
of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine.
Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882. P485