Donated by Marta Burns, thank you Marta!
Michael Kuntz emigrated from Germany to America and settled in Lancaster
county where he lived several years. While living there his wife died
leaving a son, John Kuntz. He married a second wife by whom he had two
sons: George Kuntz and Jacob Kuntz. In the spring of 1788 he came to
Washington, bought the lot on which Vowell's drug store now stands, built
a log cabin upon it and lived there that year; in the fall he returned to
his home where he remained during the year 1789. In the spring of the
next year when his son John Kuntz was seven years old, he removed his
family to Washington. In 1791 he was licensed to keep a tavern and kept
it one year. He was a member of a Lutheran Church in Lancaster county,
and in 1792 rode to his old residence to be present at the dedication of
a church at that place. He died the next year after his return, July 10,
1793, leaving three sons: John Kuntz, George Kuntz and Jacob Kuntz.
John and George Kuntz were both hatters and opened a shop in Washington,
Penna. They were both in business in 1808 and were still in business in
1838. Henry Kuntz, son of John, kept a bookstore for many years in
Washington. The only descendant of John now living is Miss Sarah J Kuntz.
George Kuntz opened a shop where Alexander McKinley now lives. In 1814 he
bought the lot on Wheeling Street and built the residence where his widow
still lives. He married a daughter of Henry Westbay of Canonsburg and by
her had five sons. Michael Kuntz, James Kuntz and Stephen Kuntz are now
well known residents of Washington borough. Jacob Kuntz, the youngest son
of Michael, is a nailor and worked in a shop where Sharp's building now
is. He married the daughter of Ludowyck Smith and later in life he
removed to the farm inherited by his wife. Mrs John Zediker of South
Strabane township is a daughter of Jacob Kuntz.
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches
of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine.
Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882. P484