Donated by Marta Burns, thank you Marta!
Hugh Workman, Samuel Workman, and James Workman came to this county about
1781. They all purchased lands outside Washington borough but Hugh; about
1789 he built a tannery on the lot now owned by William Smith and Mrs
Clark. His house was where the depot of the Hempfield Railroad now
stands. He carried on the business for many years which was finally
transferred to his son, Samuel Workman, who in 1837 sold it to David
Wolf. Hugh Workman died in 1843 at age eight four years. He had three
sons: Hugh Workman; James Workman; and Samuel Workman.
Hugh Workman started a tannery on the corner of College and Maiden
Streets but died early and it passed to other hands. James Workman also
died when a young man. Samuel Workman in 1819 assumed the editorial
management of the REPORTER while his brother-in-law, William Sample, was
acting as prothonotary. He was treasurer of the county in 1822, sheriff
from 1824 to 1827, member of the legislature from 1828 to 1830, and
secretary of the Land Office under Governor Wolf. He died in 1831.
William Workman of Washington is a son of Samuel Workman. Margaret
Workman, a daughter of Hugh Workman, became the wife of William Sample,
owner and editor of the REPORTER. They settled in Washington where she
died. Another daughter of Hugh Workman became the wife of Samuel Hughes;
they settled in South Strabane township, on the farm where John Little
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches
of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine.
Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882. P484